Luciana’s 1st Valentines!

Luciana’s made some beautiful Valentines for her friends with a little help from Mommy and Daddy! We used a foam brush to coat her hand with red, non-toxic, acrylic paint. We kept a tight grip on her hand so it didn’t find its way into her mouth. We let her smear the paint on the heart-shaped cards and let them dry. We added fun little hearts (punched with a small heart punch) with an Elmer’s glue pen and wrote a short note to each of her friends on them.

IMG_0631IMG_3243IMG_3246We will be mailing them out as soon as we get all of the envelopes written out….

It’s not too late!! Go out, grab the supplies, and make some of your own!

Simple Organization for Small Objects

IMG_0626

While working on any project, especially a very specific project, I like to have all of my supplies laid out in front of me. I recently accomplished ribbon visualization and accessibility with my ribbon organization project so I moved on to organize the small pieces that I attach to the centers of some of the hair bows I make!

There is nothing proprietary about this project. This post is probably not going to change your life. BUT this project is fun, pretty, and functional, so why not share?

IMG_0629

I went to Wal-Mart and picked up a few small plastic containers. I got 2 larger (17 compartment) containers and 2 smaller (7 compartment) containers. I also found a few packages of adorable stickers (12 per pack for $1, wahoo!) to label the containers.

I created categories, sorted the pieces, stuck the stickers to the tops of the containers, and labeled them with my label maker!

IMG_0627

IMG_0633

If I find the perfect, rectangular basket to fit these into, I will purchase that basket… in the meantime, I am okay with these bins sitting stacked on a shelf in my craft closet!

*If you want to get really fancy, you could measure, cut, and glue pieces of scrapbook paper into the bottoms of these compartments!

 Thanks for reading!

Get Organized: File Box Project, Part 1

My husband and I bought our first home (as mentioned in previous posts) and ever since we signed the papers I have been researching some organization techniques. I can’t wait for every single item in my new house to have “a home”, a place where it belongs. I have been very inspired by many different projects but need to prioritize and make moves to actually do some of the projects I have been reading about.

I decided the first thing I NEEDED to do was to create a filing system for all of our paperwork. Piles of papers give me agita (Italian slang for stress or aggravation) so with all these new documents making their way into my life (home insurance policy paperwork, medical bills, utility bills, etc.) I needed to get organized.

I first decided that I would be purchasing a file box instead of a filing cabinet because we do not need anything too big at this point. I purchased a blue filing tote from office max for $10.40. (The exact one I purchased is not on the website to tag for you but this one would work just fine as well).

The next step was to write out all the categories for which I would need folders and then lump them into groups. I ended up with 10 groups.

IMG_0342

Once I had the groups all labeled I researched some file folders. I found these (Smead Hanging Folders) which made perfect sense for me! I purchased 2 boxes of the “brights” variety ($11.78 for each 25 folder box) and 2 boxes of the “jewel tones” variety($12.97 for each 25 folder box) to total 10 colors for 10 groups. I bought these from Amazon and got FREE Super Saver Shipping!

Next, I created a key to tape to the front of my box with all the names of the groups and their folder color. I did this in Microsoft Word by inserting a 10×2 table into a document, putting the colors in one column and their group name in the other, see below.IMG_0338

The next step was to use a label maker and actually create the files. I used the Brother P-touch H100 labeling system, which I got on sale at OfficeMax for $24.99, regular $34.99! The link I attached is actually cheaper, from Amazon for $22.93.  I had to buy 6 AAA batteries for this little guy but I really like it and will be using it very often! So worth it!

I attached the labels to the inside of the file tabs and inserted the tabs into the folders.

IMG_0339

Finally, I filed my paperwork into the folders and then I cried because I was so excited!! Just kidding, of course, but I feel so good about how this came out!

I am still waiting for the boxes of the jewel tone folders to come in the mail so I still have a little more work to do and will post a picture when the entire project is completed!

I put the folders I am not currently using behind the labeled folders and I put the unused tabs into a baggy for safe keeping. I put the baggy into the tote with the files for now but when I move into the house I will put them into their own “home”. I cut the rectangular pieces of cardboard from the boxes in which the folders came, to use in the future; they are good for other projects. I like to be resourceful!

IMG_0344IMG_0343

Total cost for this project, excluding printer paper & printer ink for the key and batteries for the label maker: $84.89!

*Tip: I am planning on attaching a list of brands and some notes about this project to the inside of the box in case I need to order more folders or makeover this bin in the future.

This was so fun! I will be storing this bin in my office closet next to a safe with all the very important documents (birth certificates, SS card, passports, etc.)

Check back in for the photo of the completed project!